Douglas Park is a 26-acre park added to the park system in 1920. It is located at the intersection of Mason Street and MacArthur Boulevard in central Springfield northwest of the downtown business area. It is bounded by Salome Avenue to the east and a commercial establishment to the north. A mix of mostly commercial with some residences surround the park.
The park has considerable topographic relief. Mature oaks, hickories, maples and other native trees are scattered throughout, creating a beautiful park environment.
The park has 3 parking lots, one along MacArthur Boulevard accommodating about 55 vehicles, one along Mason Street for about 90 vehicles and one along Salome for 50+ vehicles. There is no vehicular circulation through the park. A pedestrian path, however, extends from the MacArthur parking lot and brick shelter, past the band shell, to the Mason Street parking lot. The trail spurs south to the restrooms, playground, 3 picnic shelters and 2 tennis courts. A new disc golf course winds through the park. A sledding hill is located to the northern part of the park.
The Senior Citizen Center and parking lot are located in the southeast corner of the park near the Walnut and Mason intersection.
The land that Douglas Park sits on was purchased on September 10, 1920 from the Enos family. The park was named after Stephen A. Douglas, who was a famous U.S. Senator from 1847 until he died in 1861. His most famous work was with Abraham Lincoln during the Lincoln-Douglas debates.
© Copyright 2017 Springfield Park District
Web Design and Hosting by KingTech