Enos Park is located in the north central part of Springfield, less than a mile north of downtown. This small (3.5 ac.) park became a part of the park system in 1905, making it one of the oldest neighborhood parks. Some of the adjacent homes are of an historic quality, and are undergoing restoration. The park is bounded on three sides by streets, Enterprise Street on the south, Seventh Street on the west and Eighth Street on the east. A church and several residences are adjacent to the north.
Enos Park has a character and charm of the early era when it was developed. Many large, old trees create a canopy over the park. The central area has a playground with some new equipment and a picnic shelter with restrooms. Sidewalks run along the west, south and east sides, and a diagonal sidewalk extends from the southwest corner to the northeast corner of the park. A sign is located in the center of the park. On-street parking is allowed along Seventh, Eighth and Enterprise streets.
The land for Enos Park was generously donated to the Pleasure Driveway and Park District of Springfield in 1904. The land was for a park to be constructed and maintained in contract or the property would revert back to the donor. The land was donated by Miss Susan P. Enos and in the contract requires the park to always be called Enos Park.
A contract written by Susan P. Enos and can be found at the Lincoln Library in the Sanagamon Valley Collection.
© Copyright 2017 Springfield Park District
Web Design and Hosting by KingTech