Gehrmann Park, about 3 acres in area, was acquired by the Springfield Park District in 1945. It is located in north central Springfield, four blocks west of Enos Park, within the city's new Medical District. Bordering the park are Second Street on the west, Third Street on the east, Calhoun Street on the south, and homes on the north. An older residential neighborhood surrounds the park, but the expanding Memorial Medical Center is now only one block south of the park. The park is one of several typical neighborhood parks with mature trees that create a very pleasant park-like character. It is primarily used by neighborhood children and medical workers from the area.
Gehrmann Park has a centrally located playground where new equipment has been added to the older. A restroom facility is in the north central area and picnic tables are scattered through the park. The northern boundary is fenced from the adjacent homes. Sidewalks border the streets and four-foot wide asphalt walks curve through the park, fitting with the site topography. Ample parking is provided along the bordering streets. Large oak and maple trees through the park provide continuous overhead canopies in many areas.
Gehrmann Park was named after Felix Gehrmann who was a meat packer and lived in Chicago. He was never a resident of Springfield but wanted to donate the 2.5-acre land to the Park District in memory of his family. He also donated a total of $5,350 for park maintenance costs. The land was originally his family homestead that his Uncle owned and had historical significance in the city of Springfield as it has roots dating back to the Civil War.
© Copyright 2017 Springfield Park District
Web Design and Hosting by KingTech